gardens at The Hotel Hershey are a joy to wander around on a sultry
summer evening. Before the Hotel even existed, these gardens were here,
built to beautify the town reservoirs. The reservoirs are still a
highlight of the formal gardens today.
From the plaque at the hotel:
"In 1914, the Hershey Water Company
broke ground for new water reservoirs to serve the growing community.
True to Milton Hershey's style, the reservoirs were landscaped to become
a focal point of a new picnic area, Highland Park, completed in April
1915. The reservoirs, bordered by a concrete balustrade, gazebos and
wooden pergolas, looked like decorative reflecting pools. In fact, the
reservoirs are thirty feet deep and hold one million gallons of water.
"The beds that hold today's formal
gardens were laid out following the construction of the Highland
reservoirs. The grounds were extensively landscaped with flowerbeds and
hundreds of rose bushes cascading down the slopes of Highland Park.
These gardens were restored beginning in the summer of 1990. The present
gazebos were rebuilt, walkways repaired and circulating fountains were
installed in the reservoirs."